OUR PLAN

We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.



Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich, Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!



Wednesday, August 10, 2011

JULY 27-29, 2011 - LITTLE CURRENT

Note: It is clear now that the posts are slightly out of order. Lets blame Terri and her single cruel posting  which through me out of order. Maybe a little tardiness on my part in posting as well. Sorry! 
Mark

 We have a short wait for the 1100 hrs. bridge to swing. As we enter the harbour it looks unusually quiet. Normally there would be a parade of boats racing from the bridge to the marina all looking for the best spots to dock. Strangely there are only two of us. We snag a spot downtown on the wall and are right in the thick of things. While it is not really too quiet, this is fine as we have spent time quietly anchored and a little hustle and bustle is great for now.

MIKE & LIZ - FRIDAY'S CHILD
It is not long before we meet up with Mike and Liz and Hans and Margie. We make plans for lunch at the Anchor Inn which is a local eatery.  They are very busy here and the staff seems run off their feet. I guess they didn’t plan for everybody to arrive at the same time. Regardless, the beer is cold and the food is good. I must say a word about Ketchup. I can sometimes be unlucky in life regarding the finer points of restaurant etiquette. Terri has another word for it that starts with a C and ends with a Y. Well I have been lucky of late and have not drawn any undue attention to myself. However it is my turn again. Ketchup + Cap + Shaking = Spill. Now I did beforehand check that the cap was on tight and I did do this before I started to shake the bottle. It didn’t matter for the cap was the wrong cap for that particular Ketchup bottle and you guessed it. Green shorts and red Ketchup. The waitress did see my dilemma and was very attentive with napkins and wet cloths. She even brought me a new bottle of Ketchup. I did see her check that the cap was the proper one for the bottle as she set it down in front of me. My dining companions were all very understanding and gracious. I got off easy until the next time I guess. We were all fed and now Terri and I had to get to work. She did have a sort of internet connection and set to work. For the next 6 hours she was connected to the office and put on a marathon session of problem solving and preps for month end back at work. The next day she had to put in another 4 hours and then figured that she was caught up. This did not take into account our personal banking. That would have to wait until tomorrow.
Terri has made a shopping list and off we go for a hike up the street for groceries. On the way we stop in at the butcher and put in an order that we will pick up on the return trip to the boat. I get to wait outside with Smudge and watch the world go by while Terri has to go in and do the shopping. Smudge is a real attraction to people that pass by. Most of them smile and some even bend over to pat her on the head and strike up a conversation with me. “She’s a real cutie” is what I hear most.

SMUDGE
When we return from shopping we let Smudge sleep in the boat and head off in search of some real Smudge sticks. Terri had picked some up here a few years ago but the store had since stopped selling them. Oh well another time and place. We finished off with a little shopping in Turners Department Store and picked up some misc. items that we needed and were then off to the West. Little current has been fun and enjoyable but now we wanted to find an island that offered protection from the promised Westerly’s.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment