OUR PLAN

We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.



Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich, Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!



Monday, August 15, 2011

AUGUST 7 -8, 2011 - HOTHAM ISLAND

The next few days are spent relaxing and touring the area in the Dinghy.
Now I had better tell the next story because I remember how Terri butchered the post regarding the sinking fishing pole in Eagle Island. Rick and Connie have offered their Kayaks to us to try out and we graciously accept. "Stable and they track well",  I remember Rick explain to us. I see them and notice that they are different from the ones we have used on our two previous encounters with these polar ice vessels. In the past Terri and I have rented them in Florida and have had a blast. Nobody fell off. Terri wasn’t the fastest but she sure was the safest and has appeared to have mastered this evil vessel.  I eased Terri into her kayak, being chivalrous as I am want to be. I am next and the swim platform on our boat allows me to enter the Kayak while only wetting my bottom side. Terri is perfectly dry she answers. Me too I fib. Off we go and I rediscover my superior almost manly balance and athletic ability. LoL. The next hour is enjoyable as we venture across the bay to Pike or Perch Bay. The scenery is indeed incredible. We see boats that are anchored in places that would surprise the inexperienced boater. The Deer Fly and Mosquitoes have had their midday meal as I have now reached my donor limit and make a mental note that the Red Cross blood collection program will be minus a pint this month. I have only so much to offer. After I miss an Eagle passing behind me while swooping down towards the water’s surface in front of Terri as she is no more than 100’ behind me we head back.
Terri approaches the aft of the swim platform which was fine for taking off on and then quickly abandons her approach. It’s too high she motions as she moves forward to the port side of the swim platform where there is a boarding ladder. This is the ticket she exclaims, perfect she shuffles to the port side. She bounds off of the Kayak over the boarding ladder and onto the swim platform like a deer fleeing a Wiarton hunter. No problem and now it is my turn.  I approach the swim platform with all the confidence in the world. The swim platform is about 3 inches above the level of the Kayak. No problems as I re-arrange my weight and shift my posterior to the right. Oh Poop! I forgot how tippy these darn things can be. The boarding ladder Terri motions toward. A very slight smile appears on her face. She senses something! Oh Poop again is she going to be right and I am……..”The boarding ladder!” again she motions. This time the slight smile has broken into a carefree chuckle. This was going to be good her voice seems to reveal. The twinkle in her eye is mascaraed by the sun in my eye. The twist in her smile is her smelling blood. Mark would be the entertainment this afternoon. OH Poop again I can’t stay here until dark so I must try and succeed or collapse upon my sword (kayak). Did I say Poop?
Here we go! I managed to plant my right foot on the bottom step of the boarding ladder as I shifted my right cheek to the port side of the Kayak. Steady now, I have grand illusions of completing this maneuver. Terri is standing above me poised, waiting for the show to begin. Now what? Again did I say Poop? Here goes. I pulled up with the strength of a navy seal and quickly bounded on to the swim platform. Terri will have to resort to a video for her comic relief! WRONG, remember that I did say that I might as well tell this before Ter did. Soooo! As I planted my foot on the boarding ladder the Kayak lost its balance and I was in limbo. I held out my hand to Terri as she motioned that she might help and then I realized that it was all a rouse and a self-fulfilling prophecy on Terri’s part. Again, long story short my balance had shifted beyond the point of no return and I was like a fighter pilot without an airplane.
I met the water with a sense of peace. It was warm and inviting and rejuvenating to my blemished pride. Problem though! The self-inflating life jacket that I was wearing did not self-inflate. I must look into this one. As I pulled myself up the previous point of defeat (the swim ladder) I see Terri in a state of mild hysteria. She pleaded innocence and I must admit that I did not agree and was very unpleasant to her. I dried off and cooled off and then returned the Kayaks to their rightful place which of course is Destiny.
After Terri’s hair raising episode the balance of the afternoon was relaxing and we went to Destiny for cocktails. Again it was very pleasant and it was nice to be on a sailboat again. Soon enough my hunger drove Terri and I to beg our pardon and head back to our boat for dinner. Destiny and crew were indeed very gracious hosts.
Dinner that night was a quick BBQ, potatoes and veggies. It is dark soon which means sleep for me and a book for Terri. Tomorrow we head to Gore Bay and supplies. For someone who didn’t expect to stay more than one night the three we did stay were excellent. Sweet dreams to all.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment