We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.

Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Update on chores.

Spring this year has been a bit of a bust. Crops are going in late and some have had to be re-planted. I feel for the farmers and hope that they have put some money away after last year’s bumper crops. That being said it hasn’t been easy for people who are trying to ready their boats for the season either. I have gotten about 2/3 of the topsides waxing completed but have not been able to get back at it for a couple weeks. However there was a lot to be accomplished below decks as well. Last week I came up and worked on Thursday and Friday.  I checked a lot off of the list. I won’t bore you with the details but here are a few things stroked off the list. I managed to squeeze and contort my sizable frame into position enough to thoroughly clean the bilges. Definitely easier said than done. But well worth the effort. Terri has promised to take charge of this chore. But she has been so busy at work and it needed doing, well you know the drill. I organized and stowed all of the engine spare parts. I think I have one of everything. I imagine I will have forgotten something. We shall see! I also have almost all of the required charts, books and guides on board and stowed now. I think there is about 55 to 60 lbs. of literature required to do this trip. I have hopefully arranged charts in an order that they will come up next in the queue as required.  All this arranging and organizing left me spent and thirsty so I opened a pop and started reading the many operating manuals I must master.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Winter/Early Spring 2011


Well, we are in the water now for about 3 weeks. Much more to do, and we have yet to decide upon an official departure date. Terri has commitments at work that take her to at least the end of June. Things are happening so fast as to business responsibilities at my end. That for the first time since this trip was confirmed I am considering delaying the loop a year. Colleagues and my wonky knees urge me forward!
The last few months have been a blur. A lot has happened to keep Terri and I busy. The Canadian winter has been long and harsh. Terri and I have been constantly reminding ourselves that next winter we will be in warmer climates. It has helped to pass the time. Spring grudgingly has made an appearance. The 20 C temperatures on the weekend seem to have finally broken the back of winter. That being said, as so often happens in Canada, the weather has made the news headlines locally. There was golf ball sized hail yesterday.  Some of our company trucks look like much worse for the wear. I guess the insurance companies will be busy today. Terri and I have been up to Goderich a couple of times to work on the boat. We met up with a bunch of friends last weekend who were also at Goderich starting spring work. Of course we ended up at the Parkhouse for lunch. It was fun catching up. It was like we picked up conversation from the previous night although we haven’t seen many of these people for months. The smart ass insults were abundant and greatly appreciated.
Here is a partial list of recent tasks.
The bottom paint will be sanded off and replaced under warranty. It appears that there was a temperature issue that prevented proper adhering of the paint to the hull at the factory.  A lot of the paint has been removed by a couple of very thorough pressure washings.
I have decided to have the yard do the hull wax as well. I just can’t do that anymore. I will continue to wax the topsides though.
The inverter has been removed, supposedly repaired and then reinstalled. There was something very wrong when I fired it up for the first time. A bit of a burning smell and a noisy fan plus the fact that it did not work as designed. After a conversation with Trevor of NP Yachts and the advice of Malcolm they decided to remove it once again and then send it to BC and have a local company fix it. At the time of this writing it is in BC. Let’s hope it is properly fixed and returned ASAP.
I have ordered the bolts in order to remount the Seawise Davit system. This should not be that big of a job.
I have decided to return a set of speakers that were slated for the Master Cabin. I will be getting smaller less obtrusive ones. I installed the mother of all speakers lol on the radar tower while it was in the lowered position. No big deal.
I installed a video cable for a second camera that Malcolm and I installed last fall. This way I can see the starboard aft corner of the boat when docking etc. I can also keep an eye on Terri she ties the stern of the boat while docking.
We purchased a couple of folding bikes to take along on the loop for transportation and exercise. We hope to try them out at home soon.

Stay tuned!