OUR PLAN

We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.



Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich, Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!



Monday, November 7, 2011

NOV 1,2011- GRAND HARBOUR MARINA, MS TO BAY SPRINGS MARINA, MS






CRUSING THE TENN-TOM WATERWAY



There was no fog this morning which was unusual.   We got off to a good start and the day was like many others with not a whole lot to report.   Our destination was Bay Springs Marina in Mississippi.   We should arrive in mid afternoon and get a quick pump out and then a slip assignment.   Maybe Terri and I could spend an hour or so watching the sun set.
Did I say a quick pump out?   Do you remember Murphy and his laws?   Well when we did arrive we were told to just go to the fuel dock and an attendant would be over shortly.   We waited about 20 minutes and no one had shown up.   I raised the office on the VHF and was told that the guy was busy mooring another boat and would be over momentarily.  Terri has taken Smudge for a walk and I am left to my own devices.   What to do?   Well of course I will completely fill the head tank with water from the hose and dilute the contents as much as possible.   This should make a more thorough job of the pump out.   Of course I would only do this if I was 100% sure that we would be pumped out.   Of course!   I was at the fuel dock and the pump out hose was right there.   My mother didn't raise any dummies.   All is under control and I put my plan into action.   I did fill the tank with the hose and was surprised at how much water I could get into the tank.   Where was it all going?   Ah we weren't as full as I had thought.   Now I know what some of you are thinking and you are wrong.   The Poo did stay in the tank and all was well.   But why was my gut nagging me so much.   Great here comes the attendant and we should be out of here in about 20 minutes.   The attendant had a bit of a sheepish look on his face. "Sir" he said with his southern accent.  " I, I, just don't know what to tell you. You see the boss is breaking up an old wooden boat with the back hoe and well the boss he ain't so good with the back hoe."   That's nice I think to myself, maybe he will get better with practice.   But I really don't care as the sun is setting and I want to watch it set over he trees.   Just grab that hose and lets get at it.  " But sir the back hoe, the wooden boat, you see."   What does the back hoe and a poor operator have to do with me getting my tank pumped out?   Well this particular marina unlike any other I have ever seen before has a portable pump and tank.   They normally hook the pump up to the hose and the hose to the boat and well slurp slurp.  When the portable tank fills up they get the John Deere garden tractor and disappear into the woods???   When they return they park the tank in a safe place.   You know out of  the way of boat breaking back hoes.   Now you start to see the picture.   Who ever parked the tank last didn't do a very good job.   Mr Boss on the back hoe has hit the pump and rendered it useless.   Well at least until tomorrow when we have time to go for parts.   Where is the boss I asked?   "Ah, well, its like, oh he's up thar beatin on the pump with the back hoe."   Please get him down here so I can chat with him. "OK sir, yes sir!", and off he goes.

He leaves and then Terri arrives with Smudge. I have to tell her that she will have to walk about 60 yards to use the marina washroom.   Now Terri like most women don't like to do that in the middle of the night.  (Break, break...comment from Terri.  Just a side note that I have warned Mark many times not to tempt fate where the head tank is concerned, and never, ever, let the little red light go to "full").  Well,  I can't do any thing about it and we might as well move the boat into our slip and get used to the walk to the head.   So that's what we did.   Now attendant man comes running to help us dock.   No, he has great news.   The boss fixed the tank, pump or what ever and the honey wagon was now back in business.   "I will pump you out right now if you go back to the fuel dock", exclaims the dock hand.  Back we went and had the best pump out ever.


The moral of the story of course is that sometimes Mr. Murphy has pitty on you.

Good night nurse!
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment