OUR PLAN

We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.



Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich, Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!



Wednesday, September 21, 2011

SEPT 16,2011- GRAND ISLAND, BATH CHUTE TO MEL'S RIVER DOCK & RESTAURANT, HARDEN, IL

Today we arise early again and up the anchor at 0630. There was just enough light to see our way and by the time we back out into the channel we are good to go. Today would be another long one. We want to travel about 90 miles today if possible. This will allow us all to tie up to a restaurant barge for the night, and put us in a position for a short day of only 21 miles tomorrow. We will hit Grafton IL. this weekend and as it is their 175th anniversary there is going to be all kinds of celebrations. Time to party as says Bob.
As I had previously mentioned this is all new to us. That is, trying to understand this barge business and the captain’s language. We are getting it but every once in a while there is a relapse on the part of my mouth. When you pass a tow which is a huge barge it is customary for you to tell him the maneuver is complete and that you are clear of him. Or I have heard some people say that they will be quickly clear of him. We have done it many times this week, but last night’s spaghetti must have tied my tongue up for today. The words formed in my brain came out different when they reach my mouth. This time I meant to say “Captain this is Terrmar and we are now clear of your bow”.  Of course it came over the air waves as “Captain this is Terrmar and we are Queer” I think I saved a little face around about the second e in the word queer. Nonetheless the deed was done, the words had been uttered and the breath had been taken. I just hope there is not a red neck Tow Boat Captain looking for that queer trawler named Terrmar. Terri and I laughed so hard that we almost cried. I am sure anybody else listening to Channel 13 that morning had chuckle as well. On this journey, I had promised Terri love and adventure scattered with fits of laughter. We are not yet in St. Louis and I now have fulfilled all promises. I think!  The rest of the day was cloudy and rainy and Terri will tell you that she saw sleet on the windows and I can’t say that she is wrong.

CLOUDY DAY

ANOTHER BRIDGE

UNFORTUNATE TUG BOAT

TERRI THOUGHT THIS REMINDED HER OF CANADA

We arrived at our destination, Mel’s River Dock and Restaurant along with Spirit Dancer. Everyone was hungry so Terri and I volunteered to go to the restaurant on a re-con mission to check it out and to scrutinize the menu. We promised to phone Bob and Kemba if the restaurant met Terri’s standards. It did of course, and I had to step out of the restaurant to obtain a better cell signal. The cell service was poor at best, and I did manage to get Bob on the phone, but the signal was too poor to have a conversation. But as great minds think alike and as I could see the boat from the restaurant I started sending hand signals which Bob interpreted as Terri was satisfied and to come on up. I in turn read his return hand signals convincing me that my signals were received and understood. I then interpreted his hand signals as roger that, we are on our way. Like I said great minds think alike. When I returned to the restaurant to join Terri I was met at the door by a beautiful voice. It seems this young woman about 21 years old had composed a song. A song about her town, county, country and  her home and how her roots were strong and deep. She had such a beautiful voice and she sang it without accompaniment. We were all touched and offered a round of applause when she had finished. Terri having heard the ballad from start to finish seemed to enjoy it immensely. Perhaps she was thinking of our own girls back home and who all seem to have a talented voices. Sadly the camera was back at the boat.

ANOTHER HUGE GRAIN ELEVATOR LOADING A BARGE

SADLY ABANDONED


THIS IS TERRI'S MOM LORETTA THE POOL HUSTLER, SHE SENT THIS PICTURE TO US BY EMAIL.        HAVING A GREAT TIME

Bob and Kemba joined us and soon the waitress brought out a sample of the house specialty which was Beef Brisket. This ploy worked for Kemba as she did order it and ended up taking a portion back to the boat. After a few beers and a hearty dinner and a lot of laughs we all went back to our boats happy but exhausted. I knew the heater was on at the boat and it would be cozy and Terri would be pleased. Terri and I did watch another episode of Rome and I was in bed by about 2130. We expected to be awakened periodically through the night as passing tows left their wakes for us but it was a non-issue.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment