OUR PLAN

We are writing this blog for one reason and one reason only. To provide a vehicle to make it easier to remain in touch with our family and friends back home.



Our plan is simple. Depart our home port of Goderich, Ontario in the Summer of 2011. Cruise Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron while visiting some of the ports and anchorages we have missed over the years. As well as revisiting some of our favourite haunts hopefully with some of our very good friends with whom we have cruised with many times before. All the while adding up the miles and gaining experience with our new trawler. Our first and only self imposed deadline is to be in the Chicago area around Labour Day. South of Chicago, weather and circumstances will guide us!



Sunday, July 31, 2011

JULY 17, 2011 - WIARTON, ONTARIO

Sunday was our last day in Wiarton and the day turned out to be a day of fun and frolic. Mom, Candice and Brad swam off of the stern of the boat. They all agreed that the water was truly fine and urged my participation. "No", say I as I head for a more civilized shower. Brad, in a stint of bravado successfully launched himself from the swim platform, off of the dinghy and into the water. He is feeling confident and off course, as men are want to do he pushes his luck. He launches again and does a slip and slide sideways with a mid-air pirouette that would have pleased an Olympic figure skater. As discussed later, the East German judge would have still given him a 3.9. His only rewards for putting on such a performance were the fact that he did manage it and he did get a complimentary drink of Wiarton Marina water.  I think Candice was impressed as well.
Al and Danielle are starting a week’s holiday now and plan on doing some boating. However, as Terri and I and even Danielle should know, Das Boot has other plans. As often happens one cylinder on their boat engine seems to fancy a holiday as well. According to Uncle Dave the lower cylinder is acting up and not playing nicely with the other three. Of course this will require an engine scope at a Yamaha dealer to correctly diagnose this ailment. Al will adequately deal with this. I understand it that Al is PO’d and he feels cheated that it is the family holiday time and why does the stupid boat have to act up now. Why can’t anything go right? Al, I have been there and know the feeling.  It’s just your turn.
As previously mentioned Janine and Jason have been helping care for Lauren this weekend. Things have gone well and I think that all in all they have understood lesson one. That being, that your time is no longer yours when caring for a little one. It can be exhausting and sleep deprivation is a fact of life.

                                                         Lauren, Danielle, Candice and Janine
Also this weekend. Al’s parents Paul and Koona have arrived for a visit and to see the boat, as well as Al’s brother Pat and his wife Kate and their two children Emmitt and Wyatt.  Koona came bearing gifts of course, which consisted of fresh lettuce from her garden and a jar of her world famous dill pickles. Thank you Koona, we will enjoy them both. The boys loved the boat and enjoyed climbing around the wheel house with me. It is always fun to see this family when we venture to Wiarton. They have always shown us wonderful hospitality and it is enjoyable to reciprocate.
Earlier that day Al offered to taxi me around town and pick up a few things that we Boat People require. Things like a small 1 lb. propane tank to be have on board just in case. It seems the last place that I had the small 5 lb. tank re-filled had a challenge with course threads and crossed them. I can no longer connect said tank to the BBQ. We ended up at Al’s work and I found most of what I needed. Thanks Al and Pat!
              
                                    Lauren, Danielle, Brad, Candice, Jason, Janine

While Terri and I were shopping the other day, Terri noticed a front mounted Pet Carrier that might just fit her bike. We didn’t know for sure so we passed on it. But little by little it worked on her psyche. This was a great idea and truthfully we have been shopping for something similar for almost a year now. Terri managed to find it on line but could not find it anywhere around home.  Candice and Brad were here with their fancy truck and offered us the use of it to take the bike to the pet store and check it out. Off we go. “I’ll stay out here” says I, as Terri walked into the store. It was an extremely hot and humid day and I had found a patch of shade. I assumed that Terri would ask the merchant to bring it out to the side walk so we could size it up. But no the merchant has invited me in exclaiming “it’s hot out there”. She was right, and her heart was truly in the right place. But there was shade out there and it was also hot in the non air-conditioned store. So off I go into the store. Terri and the clerk had the basket unpacked and were reading instructions with various parts in their hands and a look of wonderment. The clerk asked if I would like to see the instructions. What say I? I, a man read directions before I have had an honest chance to fail? My dock mates would never have forgiven me. For we have in a group effort constructed a BBQ with only a brief look at the instructions. This of course was just to confirm the nuts and bolts and to see how many we were short. Of course I digress, Mike and Glenn would be proud of me. For this Grasshopper has mounted the hardware on the handle bars even while handicapped with the lack of tools and cold beer. This is a Pet Store and of course not Wiarton Home Building Center or “A” dock back at MVM where the beer was close at hand. Anyway, and again long story short. The basket is mounted, Terri gives her blessing, out comes the well-worn plastic and transaction is complete.
Off to the beer store next to replenish supplies as my son in laws are drinking beer like there is a missing bung in the barrel and all will go waste without gallant efforts on their behalf to drink it dry. Hero’s these boys. Lol!
AL and DANIELLE
Al and Danielle had told us about a great restaurant to breakfast at. Candice, Brad, Terri and I all took our ravenous appetites there about 0900 hrs. We were surprised to read the business hours. Open at 1000 hrs. for breakfast. Hmm, can’t be right as this is Wiarton and quite near the swamp. Swampers are earlier risers and require sustenance quite early in the day. For I am sure the previous evenings activities have left most swampers ravenous as well. No joke, we discuss it amongst ourselves and call Al the greatest of all Swampers. LOL! He explains that we must wait as the breakfast will be worth it. Besides it is the only game in town. Al’s brother Pat pipes in that he would wait an hour and a half for this breakfast. We have no choice and we have an hour to kill. All of the other stores in the down town area are open for business. There are two dollar stores and I love the bargains that can be had at these types of stores. Off we go and I end up stocking the junk drawer with things that I might need some day. We did end up at the restaurant after a visit to the butcher and we were a little late at that. The breakfast was excellent as advertised and the grumpy waitress didn’t seem to ruin anybody's morning except her own. The morning’s entertainment consisted of Terri sadistically touching my arm with her hot spoon from the coffee. She derived immense pleasure  watching as I jumped from the shock. I can say nothing as it was probably I that taught her that trick. (Not probably - absolutely!)
DANIELLE, LAUREN AND AL
JASON AND JANINE


CANDICE & BRAD


Sunday night arrives and everybody has hung in there but alas the visit is over. Time to move on and we all say our goodbyes. We all look forward to our next family function which will probably be at Christmas when Terri and I return hopefully from Florida.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment